The U.S. law banning TikTok was set to officially take effect on Sunday, but as of Saturday evening, the platform appeared to have been shut down. Earlier in the day, TikTok had begun warning users that the service would be "temporarily unavailable."
By around 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, the landing page and message to users read: “The United States has enacted a law banning TikTok, which unfortunately means you can’t use TikTok right now.
"We are fortunate that President Trump has stated that he will work with us to develop solutions to restore TikTok after taking office. Please stay tuned!" the message continued. "In the meantime, you can still log in to download data."
President-elect Donald Trump said on Saturday that he plans to extend the ban's deadline by 90 days after taking office on Monday, telling NBC that "it's very possible to do that" and announce it on Monday. It's unclear exactly how he will implement this plan.
Last spring, U.S. President Joe Biden signed bipartisan legislation requiring ByteDance, the Chinese company that owns TikTok, to sell the platform by January 19 or face a ban in the United States. The law was challenged by TikTok and a group of creators, but the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the ban last month, and the Supreme Court upheld the ban on Friday. Both courts unanimously ruled that the law was constitutional.
The ban prevents companies such as Apple and Google from hosting TikTok in their app stores, and TikTok was reportedly preparing to shut down completely on Sunday. However, the Biden administration said last week it would not enforce the law and it would ultimately be up to incoming President Donald Trump to decide how to handle the ban. "Given the timing, this administration recognizes that action to implement this law must fall to the next administration that takes office on Monday," Biden press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said. explain on Friday.
It's unclear what actions Trump might take to keep TikTok alive in the United States, but he will certainly work to make it happen. Trump invited TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew to his inauguration and spoke glowingly of the platform, noting his popularity on it. "The Supreme Court's ruling was expected and everyone must respect it," he wrote in The Truth Society on Friday. "My decision on TikTok will be made in the near future, but I will have time to review the situation. Stay tuned!"